Adding structure doesn't alter how the bag functions - I just prefer the look, and it doesn't increase sewing time by much. A wide variety of strengthen handle bag options are available to you, such as softback, internal frame. How to Easily Reinforce Bag Handles for Added Structure I like to reinforce bag handles to give them a little structure, even if the pattern or tutorial doesn't call for it. And secure those handles correctly. 2. This means you need to reinforce your work (you can read a bit more about that here). is the bag going to hold fragile stuff like a lap top, or are you making a stiff clutch purse? ), or what features we the want the bag to posses (i.e. ... Sew your handles into the top of the bag as you usually would and top stitch so that you have two lines of stitching at the top of the bag about an inch apart. When attaching those handles — especially if they are not crocheted directly to the bag — you must secure them tightly to the fabric. To figure out how we are going to strengthen our bags, we first have to decide what function/s we want the bag to perform (i.e. How to reinforce bag handles without lifting your needle. Now Think about making the letter N between those lines. About 5% of these are shopping bags, 2% are backpacks, and 2% are packaging bags. Alibaba.com offers 428 strengthen handle bag products.