A million thanks to you. Buttery, flaky tart shell filled with warm, creamy egg custard. Golden Gate Bakery: Best egg custard tarts in the world. Dear Eva, It is my wish to share the egg tart recipe with you. I got… Just a little not for those who only go to GGB for the egg custards (which are still amazing)! What I consider the most special characteristic of this tart is its rich and super crispy crust, a feature that makes this Dan Tat stand out from all the rest. To place an takeout order or if you have any question, please call the restaurant at (415) 781-2627. After going thru yr egg tart recipe & video, i tell myself I hv to try it out cos so much effort has been put into producing the video for us to learn to bake authentic HK egg tart. There’s always a line outside the tiny shop, and this bakery does so well that they shut down the shop for vacation whenever they want to. Reply. Hope you will enjoy it. Golden Gate Bakery is a restaurant located in Chinatown, San Francisco, CA 94133. KP Kwan. They are also quite large and deep, which means that they can be filled with considerable amount of egg custard. The best egg tarts I’ve had so far are from Golden Gate Bakery in Chinatown San Francisco. The pork sticks are like taking the pork from a pork bun and wrapping it in that delicious pastry crust. Recipe: Cantonese Egg Tarts Adapted from recipe posted at The Missing Lokness - For 6 tarts - Tart tins that are 3-inches wide and 1-1/2 inches deep are recommended for these egg tarts. Regards, KP Kwan. Next time you go to Golden Gate Bakery, try some of the "Pork Sticks" and the almond cookies. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve stopped by the bakery to satiate my egg custard needs, only to find an “on vacation” sign taped to their door. Golden Gate Bakery, San Francisco It took me 3+ months and four visits to finally get these! I bought them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. If you can't find that, you could consider using similar size disposable tart tins. The egg custard tarts at Golden Gate Bakery have a pale yellow custard with a light yet dense flan-like texture. Reply. Sally Tan. The almond cookies are melt-in-your-mouth awesome. June 10, 2017. Shall head on now to try. - See 172 traveler reviews, 64 candid photos, and great deals for San Francisco, CA, at Tripadvisor. The first time I went, there was a festival going on and I waited in line but all they were selling (or I thought) were mooncakes!