Sep 3, 2017 - Explore csouto7941's board "Autumn Olive" on Pinterest. I love them raw, but I take care to spit the seeds into a container rather than on the ground to avoid inadvertently spreading the plants. Here is a quick read from the USDA and Utah State University on their lycopene findings. Autumn olives contain fantastic amounts of lycopene, some studies stating 17 times the amount of raw tomatoes. Elaeagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive fruit (Photo By: VoDeTan2 / Wikimedia Commons) Autumn Olive (Elaeagnus umbellata) is an invasive shrub in central and eastern United States.It was introduced in the 1930s and promoted in the 1950s as a great food for wildlife. Making delicious Autumn Olive berry fruit leather easy with this video about identifying the autumn berry plant, picking the wild berries and making the fruit leather from a simple recipe. I also plan on canning the pie filling and saving it for the holidays and I just need to find out how to process the berries before adding them to the canning recipe.

Her condiment recipes are familiar favorites—BBQ sauce, ketchup, chutneys, and more—with suggestions for wild-inspired variations. Yields 2½ pints. Autumn Olive Fruit Leather 4 cups of Autumn Olive Berry pulp 1 Tbsp Lemon juice (optional) 2 Tablespoons local honey (helps make the leather more pliable) 10 drops of liquid Stevia To make the berry pulp, add one half cup of water to every 4 cups of berries and boil on the stove until the seeds have separated from the berry. View top rated Autumn olive fruit recipes with ratings and reviews. Run the mash through a sieve to eliminate seeds. Autumn olive is an invasive species that out-competes and displaces native plants by creating a dense shade that hinders the growth of plants that need lots of sun. Autumn berry recipe websites: An Autumn of Abundance (PDF) Autumn Olive Recipe Time. Save this Autumn olive gin recipe and more from A Taste of the Unexpected: How to Grow and Cook with Remarkable Fruit, Vegetables, Nuts, Herbs, and Flowers to your own online collection at EatYourBooks.com Run them through a food mill (along with water) or mush the berries with potato masher and sieve them to remove skins and seeds.

The invasive autumn olive shrub (Eleagnus umbellata) produces delicious, anti-oxidant rich berries.If you could eat them by the handful the way you eat blueberries, fruit leather would be unnecessary, but these tiny berries have seeds that are too annoying to chew in quantity. Yields 2½ pints.

I don't have an autumn olive pie recipe, but I have found them to be really good, mixed in with whole grains, like rice, barley, oats, couscous, etc.

Once you’ve harvested, you can enjoy the fruits both raw and cooked.

I would return in October to feverishly plant my garlic in a few days, and so I missed one of the great bounties of September … the autumn olive berries. Elaeagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive fruit (Photo By: VoDeTan2 / Wikimedia Commons) Autumn Olive (Elaeagnus umbellata) is an invasive shrub in central and eastern United States.It was introduced in the 1930s and promoted in the 1950s as a great food for wildlife. If you'd like to read Mr. Thayer's eloquent and passionate dialogue on the virtues of the autumnberry and it's uses, you can check out his post at the Forager's Harvest.He notes that the juice and pulp like to separate, that the plants are extremely productive (3,600–12,600 pounds per acre), and that the fruits are loaded with lycopene – about 18 times as much as tomatoes. These can be decanted and used separately, but I am not usually so ambitious.

This is a recipe adapted from her section on ketchup. Autumn Fruit And Frisee Salad With Panettone Croutons, Autumn Fruit Cornish Hens, Autumn Harvest Fruit and Nut… It can produce up to 200,000 seeds each year, and can spread over a variety of habitats as its nitrogen-fixing root nodules allows the plant to grow in even the most unfavorable soils. Gather 8 cups of ripe autumn olive berries. Autumn olive fruit leather has become popular wild fare, and for good reason. This is a recipe adapted from her section on ketchup. Their tart flavor plays well off the rather dull starchiness and probably decreases the glucose spike, as tart flavors generally delay that spike. Her condiment recipes are familiar favorites—BBQ sauce, ketchup, chutneys, and more—with suggestions for wild-inspired variations. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer 30 minutes.