Keep your amaryllis in the SUNNIEST window that you have. Amaryllis (Amaryllis belladonna) is a sun loving perennial plant that produces highly fragrant flowers late in summer. My Amaryllis is only growing a flower, there are no leaves coming out at all? In order for the bulb to bloom again next season, the plant must replenish its depleted food reserves. This is a guide about amaryllis leaves stopped growing. Other reasons for nonblooming in an amaryllis include lifting the bulb too soon and a dormancy period that's too short. to produce leaves but no flowers. One note: a few amaryllis species keep their leaves through the dry season. You need to keep the leaves on the plant. The flowers emerge in a on the end of a long stalk. After the amaryllis bulb has been potted up and flowered, cut off the flower stalk with a sharp knife. Here is David Clark’s answer: ‘Star of Holland’ is a stunning amaryllis variety with bold red blossoms, highlighted by a wondrous white star in the center. That happens with some, and it isn't something out of the ordinary. Droopy amaryllis plants aren’t uncommon; and these symptoms are typically caused by environmental problems. Don’t damage the foliage. Amaryllis plants are beloved for their huge, brightly beaming blooms and large leaves – the whole package lends a tropical feel to indoor settings and gardens alike. So I finally got my Amaryllis to grow (see previous questions) to narrow it down, for two months i have been trying to get my bulb to grow something. Why Is My Amaryllis Making Leaves & No Flowers?. Amaryllis is hardy in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 8 through 10. If your Amaryllis won’t go dormant, remove the remaining leaves and re-pot. Amaryllis grows leaves but no flowers if you try to get the plant to rebloom too quickly. Shady conditions, overfertilization and overwatering can cause an amaryllis ( H__ippeastrum spp.) hi mellisa1982, I have been growing amaryllis for last 10 years. Once you see the flowers fade, trim off the stalks but not the leaves. If you keep your amaryllis is lower light, you can tell because the leaves will become weak and floppy. It’s not hard to do. A bulb that produces leaves first makes you wonder if there is something wrong with the Amaryllis because it is only growing leaves and showing no bud yet. Join. Amaryllis flowers range in color from light pink to red. Growing them directly in the soil is possible, but will be more difficult. Amaryllis plants grow better in containers, which also protect against burrowing animals and insects. amaryllis is a tough guy. Basically the true Amaryllis is an outdoor flowering plant, the most popular being the Belladonna Lily or Naked Lady.Leaves appear for several months until they eventually die back to nothing. Yes, amaryllis with no leaves can come back! ... Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. These brash beauties live for decades and thrive indoors, but even the best houseplant has its days. The plant I documented in this post was kept in a large, Southern exposure window that was very sunny. Don’t do that! The leaves may flop over when the plant is first moved outside, but with proper care new, more upright leaves should grow. If the leaves on your plant go limp but stay green, you need not cut them off.